Sunday, May 3, 2009

Fate/stay night Volume 9

Yesterday I purchased Fate/stay night volume 9 by Nishiwaki Datto.


As I said in previous posts, I don't like this manga, and I'm just buying it because is Fate.

I'm heavily biased against Nishiwaki's drawing style since the beginning, but lately his style is evolving in the wrong way; males with over-manly faces and necks as thick as the head and females with an almost perpetual grin that reminds me of a pissed Suzumiya Haruhi...


The story is not bad, since it tries to cover the 3 archs of the game without doing the weird stuff that appeared in the anime (like the story-wise irrelevant bondage Sakura). But the problem is that it doesn't add anything new. The manga version of Shingetsutan Tsukihime adds a considerably amount of new info that blends well with the story and makes it a bit better than the original game, and the manga of MELTY BLOOD uses a lighter tone and somewhat manages to keep the story original.
The manga of Fate is just like the game, so a familiar story with not so graceful drawings makes, in my opinion, an overall not recommended reading.

And as a sidenote, Hiroyama's Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya manga is having a follow-up under the name of Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei! (intended to be read as Zwei!, "Two!" in German). I enjoyed that manga, so it's a really good news.

No comments: